Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wave of Destruction Part One


Having lived in California prior to my return to Texas almost 3 years ago, I still have a lot of affinity for the crazy place. I got my masters degree at Pepperdine University (Go Waves!), drove the Pacific Coast Highway as far south and almost as far north as it goes, and was given the opportunity to rub elbows with Hollywood stars. I worked in West LA, but I lived in the San Fernando Valley just one block from the famed Ventura Blvd because dammit, I could afford more there. I've been on the phone pretty much daily with friends and college cohorts getting the best in person updates on the areas I know best. Anywho, I'm both horrified yet strangely not surprised by these devastating fires along the Southland, as it's called. But I'm equally horrified by what is yet to come once the rains make it back there. It's annual that there are large fires in Southern California each year. Normally, these fires tend to hit their worst in late summer. Then the rains come, and all hell breaks loose because the fires destroyed anything that might deter the mudslides. That's what's next, folks. Mountains of mud coming down as fast and hard as a tidal wave leaving nothing standing or uninjured in its wake. As if it wasn't bad enough for the people who lost their homes and/or lives in the fires, those who were spared now have the added worry of when the rains come. Of course, God may take some pity on these poor folks, and it may not rain for months. However, that just lulls them into a false sense of security. Plus it's difficult to get any kind of fire or other type of insurance if you live in the canyons because the likelihood of such events is a constant risk. When you see people on television speaking to the fact that they have lost everything, believe it. FEMA won't be able to give them what they need to rebuild because they have no insurance to supplement that at all.

I'm very concerned about friends I have that live in Vista, California (not far from San Diego). They have a toddler and several animals that could make it difficult for them to get out of their house if they haven't already. I can't reach them, so I'm hoping they decided to pack up to visit her mother here in the Lone Star State, and I will be hearing from them shortly.

In speaking with a friend last night, there is some optimism and humor through all of the anxiety and chaos. When I asked her how she was doing, she said, "Well SB, we now have 4 more people in the house because my family in San Diego had to evacuate. While I'm glad they are safe, I want to beat their unruly children. To say they are a spoiled lot is an understatement! Ugh! But on a brighter note, I think the smoke from those fires has improved the air quality in Los Angeles. "


*In case you live under a rock and don't know, Los Angeles has the WORST air quality in the country (with Houston coming in closely behind, I think!). I didn't meet one person there in 4 years that didn't have some kind of allergy or sinus problem, and 90% of the kids I taught had asthma.
**That picture is the "Wave" mascot. I know...don't get me started!

11 comments:

  1. All we hear here is that "California is on fire!" without the specifics so last night I freaked out cuz I have a friend there somewhere but I had no idea if she was near. Then this morning I talked to her and she reassured me telling me she's nowhere in the are. So thank God for that.
    And I hope no more people are injured or killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hope our celebrities and their mansions are safe. They need our prayers and our money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:37 AM

    Have you seen the satellite images? You can actually see a giant plume of smoke coming out of Cali into the Pacific Ocean...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your friends are in TX like you're betting on. I'll send up a note to ole J. for them. :)

    ((btw on a totaly unrelated note you need to check out the comment on my blog that dyck left about you. I left it wide open for you))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krissie-I hear what you are saying! The fires are really bad and really concentrated. I heard from my friends...they made it to Houston here with her mom. Whew!

    Dyck-LOL You're such a nut!

    ATG-Yes! It's fascinating but scary at the same time...

    Lindy-All is well with the friends. Thanks! And Dyck's just tryin' to get my attention because he's totally in love with me. It's like when boys would pop my bra in 5th grade! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in LA for four months before I realized my house was only a few miles from a mountain range. Yes, bad air indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't need a bra, baby! Let those puppies free!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just so scarey. I've got some friends in that area and I've been freaking out regularly about them. I do hope your friends aren't in harm's way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dyck-I rest my case...

    Cruiser-I hear ya! Got in tough with my friends, thank goodness! All is well and visiting her mom in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from a country that can have the worst bush fires in the world I certainly hope you don't know anyone who is too badly affected by the craziness that has been San Diego.

    I remember seeing how bad the air quality in LA was for the first time in the doco Bowling for Columbine when Michael Moore asks a police officer who is going to be arrested for the pollution.

    And wtf is with that wave mascot. It scares me so much so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orhan-Yes, I guess you do know the drill! However, please do not get your information from thel likes of Michael Moore. His documentaries are about as truthful as our latest Nobel Prize Winner. Full of holes, I'm sorry to tell you.

    And yes, the Wave mascot is creepy. Of course, they just had to pick the Pepperdine Waves, didn't they? Of course, there's no football team, so they could go with any fruity name they found...

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.