Thursday, October 18, 2007

Drug Resistant Shit


I'm sure all of you have heard about this drug resistant strain of staph, right? It's been all over the news and even showed up in my ASCD (education organization) Smartbrief. First, I just have to say: NASTY! However, I do wonder just how come these kids are getting it. I played sports my whole life, showered in the locker room, snapped towels at my teammates, etc. Yet not once did I contract anything, particularly staph. I also coached a great deal of my adult life, yet none of my players ever contracted staph. So my question is this: Who the hell is in charge of keeping these areas sterilized and sanitized? But still, now that shit has mutated and can't be treated with "traditional antibiotics"? Come on, drug companies, give me a break! Surely you have been working on some overpriced new drug that will cause mild to moderate nausea, dry eyes, and in rare cases, anal leakage? You have fucking meds for made up illnesses/conditions (RLS anyone?), but you don't have any needed new antibiotics in the works? Shame. Just shame on you.


I mean, there have been dirty kids since the beginning of time. Kids were warned not to share hairbrushes for fear of head lice, but they always have. I remember having to lecture my girls about sharing deodorant. I even washed our boys coaches' football stuff when I washed my girls' stuff simply to avoid what those guys referred to as "the boils". I didn't know who was messing around with whom under the bleachers, so I didn't want my girls to catch "the boils" from one of their nasty ass lil punks. Gross, gentleman, really gross. And parents, if your kid is taking towels and gym clothes to school, please insist they bring it home every day. Show them how to use the freakin' Whirlpool for the love of Mike! Obviously, their gym teacher is Coach Rottencrotch. Who do you think needs to be responsible for your child's health?


Seriously, I'm not making fun of this issue. It's frightening to think teens are dying from what used to be just a simple skin rash. And I work in a school, and I don't want some kid with shady hygiene giving me the death rash. Sorry, but I believe in looking out for numero uno too!

Wash up everyone! AND...I'd think twice about shaking hands or playing footsie anymore...

11 comments:

  1. I once caught a staph infection from a staff meeting. The stupid staffer who stuck me with the staph started a steering committee to stifle the staph, but the stuffy staph steerers stopped after a staffer stroked his stiffy.

    And don't get me started on the bullshit that is Restless Legs Syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 AM

    Allow me to share a conversation I've had several times a week for the past year:

    ATG: I'm tired.
    You have mono.
    ATG: No, I don't.
    Yes, you do.
    ATG: I don't, and I can prove it.
    No, you can't. Admit it, you have mono.
    ATG: Why do you want me to have mono so badly? Have you been acting out secret fantasies while I'm asleep?

    Do people count as friends if they annoy you to the point where you want to hit them with cardboard paper towel rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dyck-Why do I imagine that comment being delivered with a lisp?

    ATG-Do you have mono? I mean really, do you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shit I love your bunnies!!

    Damn it kids these days are too lazy from playing video games all day and watching t.v. when they SHOULD be outside playing and doing chores and building up their ammune system with exercise and by eating dirt!!!

    Ok so that's a little extreme but I wonder if our nations increased amount of "laziness" does have anything to do with it. (Laziness besides the not washing and stuff. Ew.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gallon jugs of sanitizer with the pumper already installed.... a great thing in school environments....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about MRSA it's not really as bad a people are making it out to be. It's just another hairbrained "cause." someone important was worried about it so it must be really serious. So far I've only seen strains resistant to penicillan and methicillian. No need to worry there are plenty of other good drugs out there... plus a little ten percent bleach solution still disinfects everything. Yeah I know I'm a geek but I work in a lab so it's okay for me to know things like this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for saying something. Now you why I always insist that you and I thoroughly wipe each other down with disinfectant wipes prior to making contact. That way it doesn't matter where we've been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pug-And here I just thought it was because you liked being wiped down?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:45 PM

    I'll bet it's because we overmedicate today's youth. Too many antibiotics being tossed around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I contracted something after doing some dirty little things in the girls locker room in college, but I don't think it was staph, unless you cure staph with penicillin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeewwwwww, that Coach Rottencrotch wisecrack has me wanting to sterilize myself. Blech.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.