Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm With The Band

UPDATE***Got a call this afternoon from the bride and groom. Seems they are home now and watching the wedding video and looking at the pictures. I asked them quite earnestly (Okay, I begged!) if they might consider "editing" the reception portion of the wedding. All I got on the line was hysterical laughter. They did report, however, that it was apparent that my performance was a high point of the reception even before my "almost flash". I assured them this was a once in a blue moon kind of deal.***

So I mentioned in my last post that I had quite the time at a recent wedding on the East Coast. I was quite the lush most of the time, so of course, all that alcohol kept me straight-laced and well-behaved. Sure. However, it seems I made quite a splash (this was before the skinny-dipping incident) at the reception. But now for a little background:

The couple that got married are old friends who were together for nearly a decade before deciding to put the government's seal of approval on their union. I actually introduced them eons ago. The lingerie shower, bachelorette party, and rehearsal dinner were mostly my responsibility as the maid of honor. Without trying to explain my greatness at planning these superfabulous events, none of them matched the wedding and reception (And that's saying A LOT considering my bachelorette party extravaganza in NYC). The wedding was lit only by a gazillion candles, and I must say, if I ever do find a man that thinks he might love me enough to marry me, I think I'm going to steal the candlelight ceremony idea. Partly because it was really cool, but mostly because I look pretty damn hot by candlelight.

However, after careful review, all parties involved decided that the reception was probably the most fun of the week. There was a light buffet, an ocean of champagne, and a live band. Now, I'm not a fan of the wedding band (ha..that's not really a pun), but the band in question was made up of some friends and fueled by alcohol. Perhaps I should mention at this juncture that I have not been classically trained as a singer. I can carry a tune, I'm just thinking it's not any tune most people want to hear. It's one thing to sing and point in my car, but a professional singer that does not make. Evidently, after about 42 glasses of champagne, I'm quite the songstress. So anyway, I decided about halfway through the reception that I needed to join the band for a few numbers. Okay, so maybe it was a whole set. Yes, I turned the wedding reception into Sassy's Karaoke Night. WTF was I thinking? Anywho, the guy who was the lead actually called me up to the stage (old friend, briefly old boyfriend) to sing a little back up. I'd done it before. What could possibly be wrong with that? He obviously didn't remember that I'm more of a front and center kind of gal. So the last half of the night, I sang with the band. The sad part is that I was about 30 sheets to the wind, wearing a rather clingy and plunging halter-type bridesmaid dress, and on a crash course with unending embarrassment. Right now I'm thinking you are envisioning an American Idol reject (that pissant Simon, what does he know??), and you wouldn't be too far off the mark. However, these people kept asking for more, and so I felt it was only right to oblige my fans, inserting random shit into songs where I drew a blank and couldn't remember the words (just like Jessica Simpson! Wow! I'm better than I thought!). We all laughed, some cried, and I even played some bass. Did I mention I don't really know how to play the bass? And of course, there was the champagne. But I digress. At the end of the evening, the guys and I were finishing up "Something to Talk About", and I casually (or drunkenly... you decide) realized that I was showing an excess of boob. Yes, folks, nipple was very nearly in the building! I was obviously rating my performance a D...cup. That's the problem with those halter dresses...no bra required. Unfortunately, I'm certain part or all of my stage show was caught on video. The best I can recall, people were throwing dollar bills at us all evening (I counted the next morning and it seems I made $50!). I just thought it was for my singing, but I'm now thinking they must have thought I was going for skin to win. It didn't stop me though. I finished out with a more recent song, "Bubbly" to close us out...we felt it was the best way to thank our friend that brought us together for one night only (did I mention I love champagne?). Here's hoping all the music moguls out there will give me a moment's rest after this. I mean, the telephoto lens of fame is not for everyone.

Long story short, a fun time was had by all. I followed up my performance that night by making out with the groom's 25 yr old brother (XOXO lil Mike) and the now infamous skinny-dipping incident. Go big or go home, right?


*Believe it or not, the biggest hit at the reception was the bride's 62 yr old mother who not only was drunker than me (and everyone else in the room) and sang with us, but she "pantsed" the lead guitar guy. It was a full frontal reception, courtesy of Momma Ruth. This is why I should never drink again.


**With this trip, I also remembered that I'm one hell of a good time! It's nice to recall how much fun you really are, and that you aren't the only one who thinks so.

24 comments:

  1. So when you get the wedding video, let us see you sing. You can blur out your face. As long as you leave the boob clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you can't find a guy to marry you? WTF? Sounds to me like you'd be a laugh a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissie-No video will ever be shown by me! lol

    EA-Rub it in, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:23 PM

    Hell Sassy, I'd pay good money to see them :)

    Hubs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:09 AM

    I wish you could have come to my wedding. You sound like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs-Let's not go there! lol

    LBB-Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just holy wow. For real. :) : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'd rub it in; eventually. First I'd convince you I'm the only guy who could make you feel desired forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. EA-Was that an indecent proposal? Oh my... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indecent? Well that would depend on how many foreign languages I could get you to moan "oh my god" in. heh. The greater the number, the more "decent" it becomes. lol.

    Aaaanywa- is that cake!?....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:17 AM

    Right, we need video. Now. Youtube will eventually find it anyway; the least you can do is get it out of the way ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alan...never gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm torn, because if I DO marry you, then I won't be able to have you singing from the stage during the reception. What to do ... what to do ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pugsley, dear, what do you mean IF? :(

    Dr. Ken-Sorry to hear your 1st marriage didn't work out...but if you do have a second, I wouldn't recommend nipple at the reception. That might end it pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Sassy B-I know who you are, but you don't really know me. At least not anymore. But I've never forgotten you. I would love to catch up and take you to dinner. I'll email for you number. No video required.

    -DJ '89

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay DJ, I'm trying not to be creeped out by your comment. However, since the '89 part seems to reference my high school graduation year (Shut up everyone else! I was a child prodigy!), I bet I can guess...(where the hell is my old yearbook??)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:38 PM

    BTW-You should wear that halter dress when we go out. I remember that you always had a nice rack. ;)

    -DJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Listen, creepy DJ person! I'm scouring my yearbook and will figure it out soon enough! Until then, all discussion of my rack then and now must cease!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Back off Anon! She's MINE! I'm just trying to figure out how to crowbar a meeting into our online acquaintance without seeming creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I came late to this party, so this may have been mentioned already - but DAYUM, girl, you are too fun! Champagne, singing with the band, the threat of nipple flashing AND you played bass and made out with a 25 yr old? I bow to your highness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. EA-You flatterer...

    Cruiser-I was a bit out of control...but I had a hell of a good time! See? I'm fun at weddings...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha! DJ '89, you are none other than Darryl Johnson, biology lab partner extraordinaire back in Coach B's class! Plus, you took pictures for the newspaper.

    Save it for the reunion, Darryl. I still haven't forgiven you for the now infamous "Trashcan Sassy" incident! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is the most awesome story I've read all week

    I soooo think you should have some youtube action on this

    PS: re your other post, don't let the grumpies get you down

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.


    Here is my website; Reputation Management

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.