Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All You Had To Do Was Ask


So I've probably not mentioned to anyone that I've been looking for a new job that is closer to home. Right now, as much as I love my job, I'm driving 45 minutes one way. I put 350 miles per week on my car. I've gotten 3, count 'em, 3 speeding tickets the past 18 months. So needless to say, I'd like to cut my commute in half or better. I actually went on a few interviews, but here's the scoop:

1. I interviewed at a 7-8 middle school in an affluent area. Generally, if you are allowed two assistant principals, you want a male and female. Since there was already a female principal and assistant principal, I was already starting at a deficit. I did, however, make the cut to the final three. Only it was me and two guys. Guess who didn't get the job? Am I bitter? No. The interview committee wasn't too nice, and one asshat was completely aggressive with me. He evidently was trying to crush my hand rather than shake it. I'm all for a firm handshake because no one likes the dead fish shake. But his was over the top! I refused to wince, however. Fuck him! Then he never really asked me a question but more or less through out, "Around here, we do things.." Some men really have inferiority issues...or else they are just complete dicks.

2. Interviewed at a K-5 elementary school at a small but growing district. It was the principal, me, and that's it. Very odd considering these kinds of interviews consist of a committee of some sort nearly 100% of the time. Anyway, he was a complete idiot, and I think I inadvertently insulted him. He made some lame joke that was inherently racist, which both shocked and angered me (Yes. Me. The lil blonde haired blue eyed Irish girl with freckles)I guess I made a face or something because he all of the sudden got rather curt with me. So no job there...thank God. I can't work for an idiot...especially if the pay ain't so great.

3. I went to several job fairs for various school districts, but not much came of them. I figure it's the universe's way of telling me to stay put, right?

Then...I happened to be checking school websites today, and I saw an Elementary Assistant Principal position just posted in a district that I would practically kill to get into. It's 10 minutes from my doorstep, pays great, and is really on the leading edge in terms of technology and pedagogy in schools. I taught with a guy years ago that is a principal in this district currently and has been for the past 8 yrs. So I took a chance and emailed him my resume, explaining that last time around, I couldn't get my foot in the door. I asked him to look at my resume and give me some insight. Only he went one step further: he forwarded it directly to the HR Director with a personal note vouching for what a great candidate I was, and that they should take a serious look at me. Wow! So people, keep your fingers crossed. This could be the best opportunity for my future advancement. Of course, I may not get an interview. Often postings this late mean they had some movement within the district and have someone from within in mind. They have to advertise by law. Anywho, I'm choosing to feel positive about it.


So when I emailed my friend back to thank him for going the extra mile, he replied, "Sassy, all you had to do was ask! I'm more than happy to help! Let's get together soon."


Life is about asking for what you want. The worst answer you can get is no, but you won't know unless you ask.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck.

    Having a job closer to home is great. I still regret the fact that I had to take a job so far away when we lived in NY. For practicality, I needed to trade my Lincoln Navigator in to get a more gas friendly Honda Civic. Sure, it was for the best, but it still stings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sgt-Thanks! I sadly had to say goodbye to my beloved Ford Explorer for a more gas friendly Nissan Altima when I took this job. After about 2 months of driving out there, I knew I couldn't sustain the gas bill. And I'm still upset that I'm driving this puny little car. I should have gone for the Civic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Sounds great. I hope you nail it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya. Sometimes it really is who you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck...

    I hope you get the one you want... that would be awesome!

    I will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH SASSY !!! AAAHA I hope you get it. Shit, I'll even bust out and dust off my praying skills and throw out a few for you. I think the whole I'm a shitty christian thing doesn't affect my prayers for somebody else so don't worry.

    Let's see. Dear God, it's Lindy, hi, my bad it's been a bit but for real? This Sassy chick is really nice and funny and if you could help her get this job it would be really great for her and you know make us all happy and stuff. So thanx for listening, I'll get back with you soon. In Jesus name, Amen.

    There, in writing and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH SASSY !!! AAAHA I hope you get it. Shit, I'll even bust out and dust off my praying skills and throw out a few for you. I think the whole I'm a shitty christian thing doesn't affect my prayers for somebody else so don't worry.

    Let's see. Dear God, it's Lindy, hi, my bad it's been a bit but for real? This Sassy chick is really nice and funny and if you could help her get this job it would be really great for her and you know make us all happy and stuff. So thanx for listening, I'll get back with you soon. In Jesus name, Amen.

    There, in writing and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ask for a bag of gold bars or tons of money to fall in my lap...yet I get "no" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LBB-Thanks...me too! Shorter commute and big pay raise.

    Cruiser-It's who you know or who you blow...thank goodness mine is the former. Thanks!

    Schmamber-Thank you very much, my dear!

    Lindygirl-You prayed for me?? Wow! I feel so honored...thanks! (Next time, you don't have to post a comment EVERY time you pray though. hehehe) ;o)

    Phoenix-Well sir, it is because your questions are not pure of heart...;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD LUCK! I hope hope hope you get it! Hubby has to drive 45 minutes one way to work too and thats the sacrifice we made by living in the mountains.. He takes the little pick up truck and leaves the gas guzzling to me and the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.