Thursday, April 26, 2007

It Was the Terrier That Took Me Down


So I get up pretty early, usually around 4 or 4:30am. I like to work out before going to work and since I commute 45 minutes and start work at 7:20, I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn. So this morning I got up, did 40 min on the treadmill, two sets on the Ab Lounge (laugh but that shit is working!), and then went through my daily routine to ready myself for work. As I was heading downstairs to get my purse and head to the car, my four dogs raced down the stairs in a formation which I can only describe as "the wall". The puppy got tangled in my legs, and so I took flight and tumble down the stairs. As my face smacked the wall, blood came gushing out of my mouth! Not one to panic, I got up and ran back upstairs for a wash cloth to put in there. I wasn't sure at first if I had cracked my lip or lost some teeth! I decided it was my teeth, somewhere in the back, and I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. First, I made that emergency call to my dentist (luckily an old friend of the family), and he said he'd meet me at the office. Then I called work where the secretary had a difficult time understanding anything other than, "I fell and hit my teetch and haf t'go to denist. I be late." Then I got in the car and over to the dentist's office. Turns out that the fall split my gums from the teeth furthest back in my mouth, including a pesky wisdom tooth that has a date with the oral surgeon this summer. So, after big needles and some stitches in my mouth, I'm about ready to leave when my dentist says, "Hey, I think you might want to get that hand checked out." I looked at my right hand and the finger next to my pinky was swollen and scary looking. So, I hopped over to a Care Now to see about that (funny that I didn't really notice it because I was overly concerned with my teeth...my true vanity both scares and embarrasses me). I only waited 10 minutes (a medical miracle in itself), and they got me in to see the doctor. They took an x-ray and sure enough, I had a small fracture in the knuckle. Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck! So they tell me to head over to the nearest hospital to get it casted. I refused and told them to give me some tape or a sports splint so I could go.
No, I'm not overly tough and wasn't trying to prove anything. I just didn't want to take that kind of time when I needed to get to work.

Now, I know I should have probably just done it, but there's more to the story. Every month at work, we have a birthday luncheon for the people on staff that have a birthday that particular month. At the beginning of the year, each team of teachers and staff signed up for a month to provide said luncheon. Well, April is the office staff and administrators' turn. We decided on taco salad, so I had to take home about 4lbs of hamburger meet to cook and season. So, this morning on my way out, I put the crockpot with this meat in my back seat. That crockpot of meat would feed one of the three lunch periods we have at my school. Now, if I didn't show up, one lunch would not have the meat for taco salads. That damn meat was taunting me from the back seat. I was unable to think of anything else but that meat and how I would be the office hag if I didn't show with it in time. So after much argument and an extracted promise to go get it casted if it worsened over the weekend, I left for work with the injury in a nice little sports splint. It was 9:30 by this time, and the luncheon started at 10:45. So, I hit the road (still a bit drooly from my dental work) and luckily made it there. By God, the teachers were getting their taco meat, or I would die trying to get it there! (Did I mention I was a bit obsessive about this taco meat?)

All day long, people kindly asked as to what happened to me since I had a swollen jaw, was drooling a bit, and had a finger splint. One person asked me if I was hungover, and one kid asked me if he could "touch it" (referring to my finger). Odd. Anywho, after telling the embarrassing story several times, I finally just shortened it to me tripping over my dogs. Thus, it was the terrier that took me down. (Say hello to my lil Cricket. Isn't she cute? She's a bit older now, but this was the only pic I had on my laptop.)

PS-My colleague finds the ridiculous things that happen in my life to be quite entertaining and continues to tell me to write a book. However, if I told her all the stupid shit that happens, she'd think I was making it up.

14 comments:

  1. That dog is so freaken cute.

    BTW I would have done the same thing, unless I'm paralyzed I'm going to work.

    I hope you at least got some compliments on your meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one considerate lady my friend...

    I hope you heal quickly...

    and of course your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig the doggy picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindy-I KNOW! She's like the cutest dog ever..and SO funny! Of course, I have three other dogs as well that are pretty cute too. Unfortunately, they weren't quite so cute at the top of the stairs when I was at the bottom! lol And yes, the meat made it and the day was saved!

    Shmamber-Thanks for the well wishes!

    TFG-Thanks! I don't have kids so my dogs' lives are chronicled in pictures right now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you got hurt, but good Lord that dog is cute. Holy cripes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a confession to make: I have clicked on this post at least once a day to look at your puppy. I think that makes me gay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah-Thanks! She is pretty cute, eh? Besides, who could be mad at that face?

    TFG-It's okay...you can get in touch with your feminine side. I won't judge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:47 PM

    You heal fast I'm damn sure.
    But if you are up for it I would like to sign you up for a position on a prof Ice hockey Team.

    I think you have what it takes.Heal up and sharpen those skates

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, here from tfg's due to his posting your puppy's (at the time) pic on his blog. She's dang cute! Too bad she took you down. What a story, though! You could probably win a prize with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good God that dog is adorable. I'm coming to get her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had a coworker tell me to write a book yesterday too :-)
    OMG, how scary though, seriously! You could have seriously been hurt (not that stitches and a fracture aren't serious). Tell the darn dogs to be more careful next time ;-) I do understand though, 'cause I had nose surgery a little over a month ago, and my boxer stepped on my nose last week. Telling him to never do it again probably won't stop him from doing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thanks guys!

    And NO, Karla, she's mine and you can't have her! She's half Jack Russell Terrier and half Rat Terrier, in case your interested. I rescued her from a lady who was going to euthanize the leftovers from a litter that ruined her champion Jack Russell bitch. Evidently, the JT was defiled by a neighboring Rat Terrier. She told me that since she couldn't register them with AKC or show them since they are not a recognized breed with the AKC. Can you believ that?? I found homes for her 3 brothers but couldn't walk away from her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OUCH. So sorry for the tumble. I tripped over my dog a year ago, had what was probably one helluva spectacular fall on my shoulder and still have a crick in my neck from it. Ain't dogs the cutest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dog's eyes KILL ME!!!

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.