Monday, April 23, 2007

Dear NHL Commissioner and the Dallas Stars Organization



With roughly 4 minutes remaining in the Game 7 of the the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I'm a bit confused as to your commissioning of the officials for tonight's game with Vancouver v. Dallas. Never have I seen a ridiculous amount of questionable penalties in a Game 7. Please explain to me the second period phantom high sticking call on Joel Lundqvist. How can it be a high sticking when the stick never made contact with the other player? Even in my limited knowledge of hockey, I could see that was not the call. But Joel went to the box and Vancouver scores to even it up. Cut to the third period where hooking calls seem to be the flavor of the period. And the holding the stick call on Juri Lehtinen? Is there a love triangle going on between the Sedin twins and our officials? What about Linden knocking the net off "accidentally" when the Stars where really swarming big nose Luongo? Where oh where are the calls the other way? Granted, hockey players do all they can to make things look dirty, but come on. Dallas digs out of a hole to get to the Game 7 and the officiating seems to have decided the game. Of course, it's a bad workman who blames his tools, and ultimately I know my beloved Stars really lost the series by digging the 3-1 hole in Game 4. Can't lose two straight and skate on through most of the time (no pun intended).

Now it's over..4-1 final on two empty net goals. Vancouver will most definitely get swept in the next round: they have to play Anaheim. Boring. Can't wait to see my Niedermeyer boys carve them up. Go Ducks! What a disappointment. I would have loved to see Giguere and Turco square off in net. Of course, I'd like to suggest not using this team of officials in that series, or any other in the next couple of rounds. Hockey fans deserve to see the decision of the game be decided by athleticism and skill. Of course, I realize you are hoping against hope that a Canadian team will take the Stanley Cup this year. You've said it in two interviews now. But I'm a good sport. Through my disappointment and disgust, I can congratulate Roberto Luongo. He was fantastic, as was Marty Turco. Goal tending was outstanding in this series. Vancouver and Dallas will battle it out next year at some point, I'm sure. (Damn those Sedin boys!)

I would like to thank you for the wonderful All-Star Game here in Big D. Working it was a highlight for me. Thanks also for the overtime shoot out rule during the regular season. Wow...who knew it would be so exciting to watch?

Finally, thank you Dallas Stars. It was a good run. I would like to request that we don't bow out in the first round for a 4th straight year next year. How about we try to win and get ahead in a series this next year? By the way, although I can't believe I am saying this, keep Big Eric Lindros...he turned out to be quite a plus. Pay Norstrom, Robeiro, and Lundqvist more. They were amazing! And finally, make sure that Mike Modano regains his sanity and does not go through with the farce of marrying the giggling idiot a decade younger than him. If so, stick a fork in him. He's done and should go ahead and retire with his solo Cup. Dumbass is contagious.


Forever a fan,

Sassy B.


PS-If I could, I'd like to request an Anaheim-New Jersey Stanley Cup Final. See what you can do about that.

PSS-Please hurry back in October. I don't like baseball (snooze), and football doesn't do it for me compared to hockey. I'm just sayin...

2 comments:

  1. A "high stick" can be called on a player without contact. But it almost never is.

    That game has to go down for the most obscure and questionable calls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Sgt! What the hell? My summer is shot now...but the Mavericks are in the NBA Playoffs, so at least I have some consolation, right?

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.