Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Little Shakespeare Never Hurt Anyone


I was off work today, so I needed to occupy my mind. Television in the mid afternoon just doesn't offer enough to fuel my need for entertainment, so I went to the bookshelf. I looked at my "Classics" shelves because nearly everything on it is what I refer to as "meaty reads". As my fingers traveled each title, The Canterbury Tales (in the Old English), The Brothers Karamizov, The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe...or C.S. Lewis...or O. Henry (insert any classic author here..I'm big on complete works), and so on, I settled on Shakespeare. I didn't necessarily read thoroughly through this complete works, but I did begin to write down things that struck me. Perhaps it was my melancholy mood, or it might have just been my love of beautiful words and phrases, but as you will see below, there seems to have been a theme. Let me say, in the spirit of full disclosure, that I have always loved Shakespeare...ever since my British Lit class in high school. So I'm a bit partial to my Brits and their clever accents and funny words. Of course...they were also great at lovespeak. So take a seat and enjoy this little taste of the old Bard. A little Shakespeare never hurt anyone....


Hear my soul speak:
The very instant that I saw you, did
My heart fly to your service.(The Tempest)

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.(A Midsummer Night's Dream)

Eternity was in our lips and eyes,
Bliss in our brows' bent; none our parts so poor
But was a race of heaven.(Antony and Cleopatra)

Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.(Hamlet)


But love, first learned in a lady's eyes,
Lives not alone immured in the brain;
But, with the motion of all elements,
Courses as swift as thought in every power,
And gives to every power a double power,
Above their functions and their offices.(Love's Labours Lost)

One half of me is yours, the other half yours
Mine own, I would say; but if mine, then yours,
And so all yours. (The Merchant of Venice)

I love thee so, that, maugre all thy pride,
Nor wit nor reason can my passion hide.
Do not extort thy reasons from this clause,
For that I woo, thou therefore hast no cause
But rather reason thus with reason fetter,
Love sought is good, but given unsought better.(Twelfth Night)


Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.(Sonnet 18)

For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings. (Sonnet 29)

All days are nights to see till I see thee,
And nights bright days when dreams do show thee me. (Sonnet 43)

The prize of all too precious you.(Sonnet 86)

Such is my love, to thee I so belong,
That for thy right myself will bear all wrong.(Sonnet 88)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.(Sonnet 116)

Love is a spirit all compact of fire.(Venus and Adonis)

She never told her love,
But let concealment, like a worm i'th' bud,
Feed on her damask cheek. She pined in thought,
And with a green and yellow melancholy
She sat like Patience on a monument,
Smiling at grief.
Was not this love indeed?(Twelfth Night)

See how she leans her cheek upon her hand.
O that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek.(Romeo and Juliet)

This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,
May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.(Romeo and Juliet)

My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite. (Romeo and Juliet)

4 comments:

  1. Is that an indecent proposal? Hmm...so you think my "library" is too pretentious? I love to read, so I have as many books as I do shoes! The best thing I can say about my bookshelves is that I have read everything on them at least once. My only true accomplishment, eh? And I do not remember saying "if" in any part of my comment. I simply asked if you were scolding me and since bad little girls go sit in the corner, yet another question. But if you are nice to me, I'll be nice to you (and probably would be nice to you anyway since it's a southern thing). You use a lot of words, which I admit does fascinate me, to bring your point. I'm not yet sure if it's just showing off or the way you might talk everyday. See? Fascinating...tell me some more stories, please....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dracul,

    You so intrigue me...is that a bad thing? Perhaps it's the clever words and a bit of the streaming consciousness? Open air next to a river? Lovely! Do you have a nice blanket and a bottle of Pinot?

    And no worries about men using me to get to my library...I think mostly that has been what has kept them away! LOL I tend to think I was born too late, as I have such a love for all things classic. It seems that men say they appreciate intelligent women, but in the end (with one exception who is now dearly departed) they seem to prefer undying devotion and no difference of opinion.

    So you see, complicated I'm not. Sensitive, maybe too much. Interesting that you mention the Gaels, as my paternal great grandfather to the 3rd power emigrated to US from Ireland and his counterpart on the maternal side came over from Scotland, no less. It looks so lovely and green in books. *sigh* Is it?

    So you speak as you write...I am mesmerized...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lil couplet there at the end! Yes, I noticed...Ireland sounds nice...I need to visit and have me a go at the Blarney Stone, eh? You really have to tell me what your vocation is...I'm dying to know. Notice I said vocation versus job...what is it you feel passionate about doing that is work but doesn't seem so? I daresay I've wondered if you were perhaps a university scholar.
    If you don't want to tell, you could give a few hints in poetry...I'm skilled at deciphering pretty words...just try not to be too obtuse or my blonde brain might get the wrong idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of that makes sense to me...my pea blonde brain is confused. But it doesn't really matter, does it? I still have my crush...but you must tell me about that French...sounds lovely but mysterious....

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.