Thursday, March 09, 2006

Appreciating the Threes

Do you ever wonder why things happen in threes? I remember some old saying about things happening in threes, but what I can’t remember is if it’s supposed to be good or bad. Here are my threes:

Death: I recently, very recently, lost someone whom I loved deeply. It was unexpected, and the fact that his family did not contact me regarding the funeral made it even more painful. There was quite an age difference, 22 years to be exact, but some of the things I believe were thought of me by his family was hurtful. Why is it that the older man-younger woman thing is so prevalent, yet still is so unaccepted? His son is only about 7 years younger than I, and for someone I would expect to have the biggest problem with the nearly 7 year relationship I had with his father was by far the most lovely about the whole thing. He was the person who contacted me about S’s passing, and he graciously offered to take me to the gravesite upon my next visit to Los Angeles. I am feeling more reflective but still very sad about this loss. I want to know more, talk more about him, and still wish I could see him just once more. However, I truly believe it is because of S that I am a better woman. He was a quiet gentleman, uniquely gifted in music, and had a grasp of words that I think I shall never encounter again. He cherished me, even after I had to leave him. I wish I had been born earlier, as then the timing might have been right for us. I love you, S. You’ll always hold a piece of my heart.

Birth: One of my oldest and dearest friends from college just had her second daughter. Funny that the first person I called when I learned of a death was her. So I’m elated to meet this new joy soon. Her big sister is pretty special, and if this little girl is anything like her mom and sister, she’ll brighten this world more than most. I’m so sorry, as I am for your sister, the Bean, that you will never know your grandmother. She’s the reason your mom is so fabulous. So welcome, little JoJo, I’m so glad you’re here! Your Aunt Sassy will be seeing you very soon!

Birth: Well, tomorrow there will be another birth. Another of my oldest and dearest friends will be induced tomorrow to give birth to her first child. She was unfortunately married to the wrong person for 10 years, but she found her soulmate in recent years and at 36, she is welcoming her son with her husband who is 15 years her senior but a first-time dad as well. This birth is a happy one as well, but I have much more mixed emotions about it. Her story has turned out how I had wished my own with S had. But a hearty welcome to baby P as well! You will be a much loved little man…by your Aunt Sassy as everyone else. And don’t worry, I won’t let your parents dress you funny!


See what I mean by threes? It’s a great comfort when a baby is born. It renews my spirit and gives me pause to appreciate the color of life and living. One day maybe I’ll be blessed with my own child, but until then, I’ll just keep loving everyone else’s kids. It may be good for them, but it truly is my reward and my pleasure. And as for death it, at the very least, renews my appreciation for the blessings I have had thus far in my life. So, I apologize for my sappy and sentimental post. Feel free to pass on by. I just hope you are appreciating the threes in your life.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...thank you. So you always wanted a daughter...how very sweet. I think that your comment above is my most favorite of anything I've read by you, whether on blog or commenting at others'. I should think I'd love having coffee with you. Yes, I believe I might have a slight crush on you...who'd have thought it? But what to do when such things happen? I suppose I could be brash and be Joy to your C.S. Lewis, but I don't really want to die in England. Perhaps I'll just write you love letters like George Bernard Shaw and Mrs. Patrick Campbell. Of course, we wouldn't call them love letters per se, but more call them "friendly correspondence".

    Seriously, I don't claim to be smarter, prettier, more entertaining than anyone that would pass on the street. I just write down what is meaningful to me, be it song lyrics, a funny true story or something that made me laugh, or what's in my heart and mind a particular day. You know the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." So rubbish is rubbish...I still like "talking" to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloise and Abelard, eh? If only I were 18 again! LOL I do recall that Abelard, the old nominalist, was castrated once Eloise's family learned of their secret marriage and the pregnancy. Of course, neither the monastery nor the nunnery seemed to quell their passion. Am I correct, or have I mixed another story? So which to be, hmm? And I'm sorry, but I don't speak French, which is what I think the "amoreuses" comes from? What does it mean? Although you are sleeping, I'm still awake and intrigued by your comments. Perhaps you can elaborate when you wake? I'll wait patiently...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like that..a passionate friendship...the only thing I love that is French is the lyric of their language. You did mention something else in French, but you are being cruel and making me wait to find out it you whispered sweet nothings to me yet I did not understand....

    And thank you...I can now wear the uniform with the appropriate bars...

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.