Friday, January 27, 2006

If You Lay Down With Dogs...


So I have these three precious little dogs, all of them rescues, and I love them all to pieces. However, for such small quadrupeds, they sure take up a lot of space. I can confidently say that they are spoiled, but as time goes by, they seem to be taking over. Because they love me so much (or more likely because I'm a big softy), they all three insist on sleeping in the bed. Now I have a nice queen-size bed, but they each have their own little spots. Sometimes I feel as if I have to play Twister just to find some space in my own bed: Right leg blue! Left leg yellow! LB is the one I've had the longest, so she insists on sleeping under the covers right up against my torso. DM snores like a freight train, but at least she sleeps at the foot of the bed. Just don't try to move her once she's claimed her spot. SM is the youngest and most mischievous of the group. He's also the king of the couch, the chair, the chaise, and the bed. He tends to want to sleep under the covers at my feet...right in between them. So I'm basically stuck in the position I started in once I hit the sheets, as they all hunker down for a deep snooze. I imagine this is why doctors advise letting your children sleep in your bed with you. It's not that you might roll over and squish them, and it's not because it necessarily forms bad habits. It's because it is directly linked to back and neck pain and very little restful sleep! I think it's the same for dogs and letting them sleep in the bed. They've taken over, and I feel staging a coup this late in the game could lead to my imminent peril and destruction (or at the very least some destructive behavior). It does save me a bundle on my heating bills, however. My cat people friends keep saying I need to get a cat, but I had a cat once, and she peed in my shoes. I had a bird once too...it bit the hell out of me every time I got near the cage. My hamster went on a hunger strike back in my college days, so I returned from my American Military History class one day to find him in the early stages of rigor mortis. The next week my fish was taking a nap at the top of the tank. So LB, DM, and SM have taken over. I guess the real saying should be, "If you lay down with dogs, you'll get no sleep." It's their world now, and I suspect that the only reason I'm allowed to live in it is because I buy the food and my ability to throw a tennis ball repeatedly. Dogs rule...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.