Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ball Bustin' Girls Always Have a Boyfriend



So I have this great friend who is also 30 something and looking to meet the right guy. She's taking the internet dating route as well, and she asked me to rewrite her profile message. A new friend had written for her, and she wasn't sure it was the right introduction to potential dates. So she gave me her login information, and I logged in last night to read it. Evidently, the woman who penned this 5000 character masterpiece is quite a "ball bustin' girl" or BBG. The language was aggressive, many times harsh, and it was one of those pieces that constantly asked smartass questions in a know-it-all fashion. Now I know my friend well, and NOTHING about that profile hinted at the person I have called my friend for the past 5 years. She's awesome, and she's truly someone most people would want to get to know better. I know you might be thinking that I am threatened by the arrival of the new friend and my status in the old guard. However, as I reread the piece, I started to think about girls like this NF. Why is it that women like that always have a boyfriend? What is it that men see in the in your face attitude and constant ball busting? And come on guys, you know those are the women you pick over us GNDs (Girl Next Doors) every time. I have read all the studies and seen all the specials about how men love a challenge, but my question is what are they hoping to find at the end of that rainbow? Don't get me wrong, I don't think any man or woman is attractive if they have no backbone. Who wants to be with a perpetual victim? But how is a BBG worth all the trouble? I have to wonder if it's the same attraction as the "bad boy" syndrome many women have. Of course, I feel I was cured of that disease the minute I decided I wanted something more permanent and satisfying in a relationship...and gained some solid self-esteem. So, being a woman, I can only question as to whether there is a bigger crisis in the male population in terms of self-esteem than I would have ever believed. Of course, this is just my own rambling speculation. Maybe in the end, it's just me those BBG-chasing guys just don't like, and it has nothing to do with BBGs or GNDs. I think I can live with that.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps BA, perhaps. Thanks for your input. Maybe one day we'll solve the mystery....

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.