Sunday, January 18, 2009

Keeping It Real...


I think I've mentioned that I moved to the backwoods (close to Mayberry) this past summer. It's a quaint place that actually does boast the trifecta of restaurants: Applebee's, Chili's, Olive Garden. Date night in a small town! Woo hoo! But seriously, I can handle small towns for the most part. What I really dislike is the fact that I run into students when I need to do shopping of any kind. Now why should this bother me? Well, I often like to just roll out of bed and head out, often in what I wore as pajamas. However, I have found that in such a small area, the probability of me encountering someone that I work with , work for, teach, taught, supervise, etc has grown exponentially. I mean, I can't really hide my beer and condoms under my frozen peas, can I? Case in point: I was at the Walmart last weekend, just minding my own business, when I felt someone following me. Paranoid much, you ask? No. I stopped and took a left into the toilet paper aisle and then caught 3 students (think nutty buddies) from the campus where I used to be the assistant principal indeed following me. I could hear them whispering and giggling as I grabbed my 9-pack double roll Quilted Northern. As if one's teachers and/or principals do not have a need for toilet paper? When I smiled and said hello, the boys looked wary, as if they weren't quite sure if I'd sprout another head. I decided that I should just keep going, and I thought nothing of it until I got home and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair was in a scrunchie on top of my head, reminiscent of those classic, kid-friendly Fraggles (the curse of curly hair!). I was devoid of makeup except for the faint smudges from yesterday's mascara. I was nattily attired in a red sweatshirt, my SpongeBob fleece pajama pants, and black Chuck's converse trainers. Frankly, I'm not sure they really recognized me at all and probably thought they were following a bag lady. Either way, I felt a slight flush of embarrassment. This is when I miss living in a real city. No one cares if you go to the market in your pajamas. No one cares if you have make up on, or if you reek of last night's boozapalooza. And the greater square mileage all but guarantees you won't run into the people you work with. But in a small town, people take note of that shit. I actually had a colleague mention to me that they had heard I was wandering Walmart in my pajamas. WTF?? Since when is that news? I mean, it wasn't like I was running around braless or something! Of course, it was a Sunday, and seeing as how I'm not a regular churchgoer, perhaps the shock that I had slept in and forsaken the baby Jesus did not go unnoticed...nor unjudged (yes, I'm making up terms now). So now I'm forced to at least put on some lipgloss, wash my face, and wear street clothing rather than pajamas if I want to dart out to the market. Often I put on a little mascara and tinted moisturizer as well. It's ludicrous, but I've bent to the will of the Mayberry area small minds. Perhaps in a few short weeks, I'll be able to thumb my nose at these rednecks as I prepare for a new employment adventure. One can only hope...and light candles and say 14 Hail Marys and 8 Our Fathers every day until it's a lock. Who knows? One thing I know for sure is that nowhere in the Holy Bible does it say that you cannot wear pajamas or no make up when you shop at Walmart. He who has no sin cast the first stone! And I never shop on Sunday. Never.

**Got an important trip coming up, so start praying bitches!! Momma needs a brand new job!

8 comments:

  1. As long as you don't leave your cart in front of my car and park in the fire lane, it's all good with me. Good luck on the job search. Mayberry was a bummer, ask Opie. He couldn't get away with shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God Mayberry doesn't have any strip clubs, and it's only the grocery store you have to worry about.

    And speaking of God, JUST ONCE I'd like to see the phrase "start praying bitches!!" in a Church Bulletin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifer-Why did Mayberry seem so great when I was watching the old reruns of Andy Griffith as a kid? I mean, who didn't want an Aunt Bea? And thanks for the good luck...:)

    Pugsly-I haven't been to a strip club in well over a week. Come on...
    And who reads those old Church Bulletins anyway? I bet circulation would increase quite drastically if they did put it in there! Nothing like a little blasphemy to fill the pews on Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I can so feel your pain. I grew up in a town so small that it made Mayberry look like a major city. And I do remember freaking out as a child when I saw my teachers in public. My guess for shopping would be either as you said durring church or right after school. Why is it that in small towns everyone has to live perfectly? One time when I was going home to visit my parents knew I was close because someone saw me at a red light and called my parents house to see how long I was in town. Nosey little F'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I can so feel your pain. I grew up in a town so small that it made Mayberry look like a major city. And I do remember freaking out as a child when I saw my teachers in public. My guess for shopping would be either as you said durring church or right after school. Why is it that in small towns everyone has to live perfectly? One time when I was going home to visit my parents knew I was close because someone saw me at a red light and called my parents house to see how long I was in town. Nosey little F'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you feel. As host and star of The Mighty Blog, I get recognized all the time when I'm out on the town with my hos. That's why I wear dark sunglasses, a wig, and a fake beard where ever I go. Give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Booya-Glad you can join me in my pain! ;)

    Dyckie-This is why small children and their parents fear you....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess toilet paper was a far less sin than that 6 pack of wine that was in my basket when someone wanted to 'chat' in the grocery store aisle with me!

    ummm...umm...You see... with 6 bottles you get a 10% discount...I guess my explanation didn't quite cover it...I shop at the bodega now.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.