Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Little Sugarland Is Good for You


Folks, I went to an excellent concert last night: Sugarland. Yes, I know it's country, but you can't argue with true talent no matter what the genre. Magic Man got the tickets, and we were front and center for the concert. Anway, I can admit that I have a girl crush on Jennifer Nettles, the lead singer. I mean, just look at her...and she can wail! AND I got to meet her! Talk about a nice, down-to-earth person. She's from Georgia, so her accent is thicker than mine, but her voice is very low and throaty. (No, we didn't make out or anything...I'm just a fan, okay?) Plus, she said she loved my earrings (so glad I wore some since I almost NEVER do!), and we talked about having naturally wavy/curly hair. In girl world, it was pretty damn cool. Now you should know that I'm not one to get starstruck. Mostly because living in LA and working at the fancy school I met so many. But I'll admit it: I gushed a little once I got backstage...but just for a moment.

Anywho, they started the set off with a song called Speed of Life, did a version of Beyonce's Irreplaceable that was pretty cool, and finished out with a song called Sugarland. A kid named Jake Owen was the first opener, and I think I agree with the judgment that he's one to watch. Little Big Town came next, and they were amazing! I bought both of their CDs before we left, and they were so much fun backstage. But back to Sugarland: What I really love about this band is that they seem so normal. The show was not in what I would consider a small venue, but I felt like I was at a VH1's Storyteller gig. They made it much more intimate simply by the way they introduced each song. They also peppered the performance with songs from their first CD, which I LOVED. And I don't know if you caught the CMA's on Wednesday night, but they performed a song called Stay that left people looking dumbfounded and awestruck because it was so fucking brilliant. Well, I got to hear it live, and I was again awestruck. Everyone went crazy for Baby Girl and Settlin' as well. And okay, I admit I made out (not a big make out in public kind of girl) with Magic Man when Want To came on...I fucking love that song. Two thumbs up, people! If there was anything that one could criticize, it's that Jennifer just can't dance, and she sometimes (okay all the time) looks a bit awkward jumping around.

All in all, I had a great time. It was a concert with mostly grown ups, which was a twist from just about every other one I'd seen in the past, oh, 5 years. Even if you aren't a country music fan, you should check out Sugarland and Little Big Town. The songwriting alone is worth a visit to the websites.

**I broke it off with Magic Man last week, but he still took me to the concert. It's an amicable split, and we have plans for the Stars games too. Too bad I couldn't bring myself to tell him that he needs some help in the ole bedroom department. I tried, but the male ego can't take it. He's a good guy nonetheless.

13 comments:

  1. They should cover Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton. Tipper Gore would rise against it once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Ken-NEVER EVER mention Tipper Gore's name to me again!! (or Al's for that matter!)

    Thank you! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:04 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy stalker, Batman -- anon is a little scary.

    But yes, Sugarland is EXCELLENT in concert! And I didn't think I'd like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it with you making out with other guys at all these concerts?? I thought you made "Magic Man" disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. male ego...bedroom department...'enuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But you still made out with him? HAHAH Sassy you GIRL you! But hey fun is fun, it'll be okay :)

    OH I LOVE it that she can't dance! Besides her voice it's my favorite thing about her. It makes her REAL (oh okay and I can't dance so I just love her even more)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horgirl-One should never decline the offer of a good make out session. That's the rule. Commit it to memory.

    And yes, she's so down to earth. I had a great time, with or without the making out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The good Doctor already addressed "Sugarwalls". So what about "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies? Did they cover that classic? Or, how 'bout "No Sugar Tonight" by The Guess Who? And let us not forget "Brown Sugar" by The Stones.

    Then, they should have covered "Ants Marching" by The Dave Matthews Band, as a logical tie-in to the whole sugar theme.

    Also, what's with making out with other dudes? You need to keep the proverbial decks cleared if you want this sky pilot to come in for a landing. And I hate to brag, but not only does THIS Pug not need help in the bedroom, quite frequently he doesn't even need a partner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and BTW, maybe she couldn't dance because she was wearing shoes. After all, she IS from Georgia, so shoes are probably a new accoutrement. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, you two broke up? Aw, Sassy.... where the hell are the good ones anyway?????

    Secondly, you little C & W hor you! Did you throw your panties on the stage at your new girl-crush? *ducking* So - how'd you guys get backstage? You are such my role model now.

    Thirdly, making out with ex-beau? Hmmm. Me thinks he may not be good in the bedroom, but he's got the lip thingy going on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pug-How is it that you post two tomes in my comments, yet I can't get new material out of you? Hmm? ;)

    Cruiser-Lip action is good. I like to make out. I just do. We got backstage because Magic Man knows some guy that runs events at the Nokia. It was a total surprise to me! But it didn't erase the bad in bed thing. Some things just can't be erased. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sugarland is SO awsome. I'm jealous of you now too. Dammit. I never get to go to concerts anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.