Thursday, July 05, 2007

More Heartwarming Childhood Memories

I love stories about people's childhoods. I think they are the most interesting stories that are told. I was over at JV's reading some of his archival stories about his brothers, so it got me to thinking about my own brothers, particularly the older one.

So, I think I've mentioned my older brother and cousin and the tortures that they would heap on me...mostly during the summer. They've held my little 4 yr old hands to a hot car tailpipe, shot at me with BB guns, hit me in the head several times with a Louisville Slugger, and then there are the bugs. Now, I was a rough and tumble kid for the most part, but I'm all girl when it comes to bugs. I. HATE. BUGS. The only bugs I can deal with are lightning bugs and roly poly type pill bugs. They don't make noise and as far as I know, they don't bite. Let me take you back...way back to the year 1976. It was the year of the bicentennial, the year before Elvis would be found dead on his toilet, the year that Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music" was the #4 song for the year, and the year we had what seemed to me an unusual amount of disgusting bugs in Texas. It was late summer, end of July I think. My Papaw was rebuilding his wooden fence, so there were contractors with lumber and nails around the place a lot during the week. But this happened on a Saturday afternoon. As you know, the summer days are long, and so unlike kids today, we would spend every moment of light outside. This particular evening, the Cicadas were singing loud and proud having emerged from their scary little houses. Do you know what Cicadas are? They are by far some of the freakiest insects. Okay, maybe not the freakiest, but still very unsettling. Plus the males make this horrible loud buzzing sound. Ugh! Anyway, my brother and cousin were complaining that I was following them around. My Papaw told them to shut it or he'd be forced to "kick them in the fat" or "bust them in the kisser" (I heart his lil sayings) if they didn't stop whining and be nice to me. So they decided that it would be fun to catch Cicadas and THROW THEM AT ME! Imagine a lil Sassy: skinny, small for her age then, long blonde wavy hair down her back, big blue eyes...very innocent looking. Now imagine her running like someone lit a fire under her ass with two mean ass boys chasing her with big, ugly, loud bugs and throwing them at her. After I made the block, screaming all the way, we got back to my Papaw's house (this was prior to his move to the lake, so we were in suburbia) when they made contact with the Cicadas. In. My. Hair. Those lil bastards started buzzing and flapping and getting all tangled in my hair. I freaked out even more and ran as the evil bastards were catching and throwing more at me. As I ran around the back of the house, I didn't notice that the contractors had left some of the old boards from the fence laying (lying?) on the ground. As my lil girl self was not paying attention to anything but the loud buzzing and movement on my head, no notice was paid to the fact that the boards had nails sticking up out of them. So all of the sudden, I stopped short. I looked down at my right foot, and there was a nail coming out of the top of it! Yes, I had stepped on a board with the nail that went all the way through my lil 5 yr old foot. Upon visual recognition, I immediately let out a blood-curdling scream, which did two things: froze my brother and cousin in their tracks and brought out my Papaw. He came flying out the back door, with my Granny, looking all wild-eyed and crazy. He came over to me, lifted me straight off the board, and tried to console me as my Granny said, "Moe, you get her to the emergency right away! I'll call P and D (my mother and father)." (My grandfather's name was actually Harold, but he was called Moe his whole life. I'm not exactly sure why though.) When we arrived, the triage nurse took care of my foot, but I wouldn't let her touch me until she got those fucking bugs out of my hair. They had stopped buzzing, so I could only hope they had suffocated in my hair. So, after 3 hours in the emergency room at Baylor Dallas, where they gave me all kinds of shots, a few stitches on the bottom of my foot, and used some kind of Q-tip to stick all the way through MY FOOT, we left with the pain meds and bandage changing instructions. Evidently, I fell asleep in the truck because I woke up on the couch and it was dark outside. I saw my brother and cousin sitting on the floor looking at me with very swollen eyes and other tell tale signs of some heavy duty bawling. They told me they were sorry. They brought me some chocolate milk. Later, I heard my Granny telling my mother that Papaw had taken the boys to "the woodshed". I didn't really know what she meant, but I was pretty sure they had gotten a whoopin'. Ha! Evil shitbags! The end of my summer that year pretty much sucked. I had to stay off my foot, couldn't ride my bike, and had to go back to the doctor about 4 times. There was a lot of worry about infection, and every time I winced in pain or cried because it really did hurt, my grandfather would look ominously at the boys, who would scurry out of the house as quickly as they could. It just wasn't summer unless I made at least one trip to the emergency room. Oddly enough, my Papaw never spanked me. But those boys got the strap a lot, I think. Anyway, I still hate Cicadas. They are so fucking creepy and leave their shells behind. Gross. I'm sure at some point my family was turned into CPS for fears that I was being abused. But as you can tell, I've always had that "accident waiting to happen" vibe going on in my life. And people laugh when I say I don't swim in the ocean because I'm afraid of being attacked by a shark. History supports that fear, people. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen to moi. You'll be happy to know that both my brother and my cousin grew up to be contributing citizens and not serial killers. Maybe I've forgiven boys, but I have not forgotten.

23 comments:

  1. Sound like your brother and cousin go their evil-doings out of their system.

    Too bad you had to be the recipient of all that torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, it's not summer in Texas til the cicadas start that awful screeching. I'm afraid my heart would've stopped beating if I got one of those little creepy things stuck in my hair. That would give me nightmares for life. So would looking down and seeing a nail coming out of the top of a foot. Eeeewwwwwwwww.

    Did you ever get your brother and cousin back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugs in your hair and a nail in the foot, have you booked time on Dr. Phil yet?

    And where are the two little shithead terrorists today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story will give me nightmares! How horrible! I live in the midwest and we had the 17 year cicadas pay a visit...sick fucking things!

    You should put some laxative in their drinks next time they are around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phoenix-Yes, they finally did. But they still love to tell the most embarrassing stories about me.

    Cruiser-I KNOW! Those disgusting creatures! Ugh! Still give me the willies. And no, I, contrary to popular belief, am not an evil shitbag as they are. So I did not get them back.

    Scoop-No plans for Dr. Phil as of yet. If we ever have a complete falling out, I'll call him. Today they are happily married being terrorized by their bratty kids. Their procreation has turned out to be my revenge. (I still love their bratty kids though)

    Jenny-Perhaps I didn't mention that I had night terrors until I was 12? Yes, well, now you can see why this phenomenon occurred for far too long in my childhood. Laxatives in their drinks? Hmm...this is why I need an evil sidekick. I am not an ideas person. I will, however, follow through on the action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Great (horrible) story Sassy. I too LOVE stories from childhood. Oh you poor sweet thing I would have done the same thing about getting those bugs out of my hair. Oh god a nail through your foot? And then they ran a fucking Q-tip through it? OMFG that's too much. Jesus.

    I HATE BUGS. Give me a snake bring me lizard but stay away from my ass with bugs. Crikets and grasshoppers are at the top of my willies list but I swear to GAWD that stink bugs are attracted to me. Maybe it's my pheromones but I am forever plagued by them flying into my hair, going for car rides with me and finding them in bed with me late at night.

    And I can't talk about ticks. I'm not even going there.

    I'm sorry you hate bugs too. Yuck Yuck Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindygirl-YES, I watched them stick it all the way from bottom to top! WTF? Luckily, I was completely numb, otherwise I can imagine me going for the doctor's neck and ripping out his jugular.

    And I don't think it's very nice of you to call Chino a "stink bug", Lindy. He might be hurt by that. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bugs in my hair don't bother me. I've had head lice since I was 10 years old.

    Can I spank you??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dyck-I don't think it's called head lice when you got 'em down there.

    And no, you cannot spank me. I have been a good girl. Only bad girls get spankings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh ohh ohh!! Brought back baddddd memories of seeing someone stepping on a nail!! Only it didnt break through the top of their foot and made a teepee out of their skin!! ick ick ick!! I thought I blocked that out!

    We had an outbreak of cicadas a couple years ago up here-- blah! I would have FREAKED if one ended up in my hair! I get freaky with ticks and I'M the one that has to get 'em off the kids and the cats. Ugh!! ~shudder~

    I'm so sorry you had to put up with your punk ass brother and cousin! Looks like what goes around comes around, eh? Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, that sounded wrong-- "I get freaky with ticks" I mean I get FREAKED about ticks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A hate the 17 year cicadas. The make this ungodly chirping that you can hear all over Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AAHHHHH Sassy, you're good. I re-read it and that's too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. TFG-I'm convinced that those are the locusts mentioned in the Bible.

    Jemny-I got what you meant the first time! lol

    Lindy-Re reading? Wow! Glad you enjoyed the story of my childhood pain. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I had stepped on a board with the nail that went all the way through my lil 5 yr old foot.

    I'm sorry but at this point I just had to stop reading. I was there with you in 1976 as your bastard brothers tortured you. While read about you being chased I knew something bad was going to come over it, like a broken leg. Something simple. But a friggin' nail.. ouchies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Orhan-I'll tell some other equally distressing childhood stories where those two boys sent me to the emergeny room. I would have welcomed a broken leg over my foot impalement any day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:31 AM

    Sassy,

    Did you hear about Gilmore going to Wylie? That would be a nice opening at Sachse for you to just slide into :)

    Bartman

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:26 PM

    We don't get locusts here; we get inordinate amounts of spiders. I fucking hate spiders.

    Now I'm going to think about '17 year locust' by Rob Zombie for the rest of the day, and I can't stand Zombie.

    I remember, back in elementary school, I nearly got expelled for something I can only refer to as 'the laxative incident'. I was a little bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll tell some other equally distressing childhood stories

    That is certainly going to make it hard to read your blog ;)

    Seriously though, bring it on. Will be waiting..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sassy Blonde, you and I are BFF4Evr&Evr.

    I love you, you funny hor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Travis Sassy is sweet and nice and funny and cool. I'm not sure if she's a hor or not so you just watch out. K? K. (kisses! love ya T.)

    OMG it's MONDAY!!!! This is the day right??? Interview day???? I can't wait to hear how it turned out. EEEEEE!!!! I am so sending out all of the hippie vibes that I can!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Orhan-I'll try to make my stories humorous so that the horror part won't freak you out too much!

    Bartman-Yes, I heard. However, I'd rather work at Walmart than back in Big G. :o)

    Travis-I FEEL the love! XOXO I'm going to link you because you told me you loved me. I'm easy that way.

    Lindygirl-Yes, the interview was this morning! I feel good about it and will know by the end of the week, so keep the hippie love circle going. If for some reason it doesn't work out this year, there's always next year to reapply. At least they have seen me and know how I roll. I have a job, so I won't slit my wrists if this one does not go through (but I really want it in a bad way.)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, but seriously don't hold back :)

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.