Monday, March 13, 2006

Message in a Bottle...Seriously


I came across this story and thought it was truly amazing! I then began to think about what, if I were to launch a message in a bottle, it would say. Where would it end up? Where would I like it to end up? Who would read it? Would they answer? Would I care by then? I think I just might do it.
I just have to think awhile on what I want to say. What about you? What would be your message in a bottle?

Massachusetts Bottle Message Ends Up in Africa

A message in a bottle launched in Massachusetts two years ago has traveled halfway around the world. In a letter postmarked from Morocco, 26-year-old Assila Ahmed wrote that he'd found a bottle thrown into the water by Genevive Hernandez of Lynn.
Hernandez, now a 13-year-old seventh grader, was among group of fifth-graders who on Nov. 20, 2003 put messages in bottles and cast them off from Lynn's shores that stormy day. Hernandez said she's amazed that her green Sprite bottle made it as far as it did since most of them either bounced right back to shore or ended up only as far as the Cape.
"I thought it wasn't going anywhere," said Hernandez. "Mine was stuck on the seaweed."
Students received replies from 14 people before Hernandez received hers. Most were from the Cape Cod area. One made it as far as England.
But Hernandez's bottle had, by far, the longest journey, traveling 3,500 miles.
In the letter to Hernandez, Ahmed said he found the bottle about 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 18, 2005. Hernandez' bright orange card wrapped in plastic bore the address the Brickett School in Lynn, where she attended classes two years ago.
The only request from the African man: a letter back from Hernandez.
Hernandez's teacher fifth-grade teacher at Brickett, Sheila Thomas, said he will get one.
Thomas recalled the stormy day the bottles were launched.
"The bottles kept coming back up on the rocks and I ended up getting down in the water and getting them back out," she said. "It was not an easy launch — I ended up soaking wet up to my knees."

5 comments:

  1. I love snail mail...it's much more personal than email. I still write letters because there's something about handwritten thoughts that portray and relay meaning...don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now what was that all about? Are we in a foul mood today? Who are you electronically quarreling with? Surely that reference isn't to me? I don't remember being quarrelsome. Ah well, I certainly hope you enjoyed your leisurely dinner.

    And I don't care what you say...I love a handwritten letter or card much more than an email. I actually received a beautiful lil Irish Friendship teapot in the mail today from a childhood friend. The card was lovely, and the funny thing is that she didn't even know I collect teapots. As you said, email can be taken out of context and cause silly resentments and/or thoughts of being wronged in some way. And I love the opera...La Boheme is my most favorite.

    Now give us a lil smile and write me something pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now don't say that La Boheme is based on Rent...it is the other way around but not even close to being as pretty.

    Yes, a particularly bad day...after reading your last comment to me at your blog, I'm thinking it could get worse for you. It amazes me that you are pointing the finger again about the arrogance and stupidity of Americans...while giving your own high-handed version of the truth. I'm convinced that the truth, free from bias, does not exist anymore.

    I will say that I won't comment at your site again, most likely. You weren't very nice, and I'm always nice.

    And your solutions would make sense...if the two parties involved did not want to eradicate the other as a race. It's ridiculous to blame the Jews and Israel for every ill, yet that's what we hear daily. Your sympathies for the Muslims are admirable, and while I am not without sympathy for anyone's strife, I don't hate with the passion to kill for the sport of killing. I don't get on a bus, or subway, or plane full of people just trying to live their lives and support their families with explosive devices strapped to my body ready to detonate because I hate those who do not conform to what I say the world should be. I also don't have the passion for changing people's minds, hearts, or religions because I think mine is better. So you see, therein lies the problem, or should I say paradox.

    By the way, I once worked for some Iranian men, and they treated me as if I were completely stupid. But I needed the job so I played along as the dumb blonde. They complained, in front of me, about the fact that my father and brothers even allowed me to work and talk to men without them present. One even told me one day that I should go home and get a good beating because I was flirty with a customer. Of course, the other one felt me up any chance he got. Evidently, it's okay for 40 yr old men to speak to and touch 16 yr old girls in that way. But then again, they both had girl brides of 18 and 20...been married for 5 or more years. Six months of thatwas enough for me, and I luckily found something else that would help pay for my schooling with a lot less stress and harassment... but what do I know...I'm just a stupid American with silly, outdated Christian ideas of right and wrong. And those men, they were the poor Muslims who love all serve all.

    Now I need to go throw up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I often try not to sound self-righteous, someone always accuses every American of being so. It's tiring, and I don't think the root of all evil is in the US. That's what's so ridiculous about the crap I keep reading here, there, and everywhere. I should think in 20 years I would like to see the world and where it has ended up.

    I guess anytime anyone has something less than politically correct to say about Muslims, it must mean they are either racist, working for the insidious Jewish agenda, or somehow looking for revenge. All three are ridiculous! Frankly, I could care less as long as it is live and let live. Being older isn't being necessarily wiser..it's simply more candles on the cake.

    I didn't say you weren't nice as a person, I simply said you weren't being very nice in your comment. Most people are basically good and nice, I think. I just am not up to being or receiving anything not nice right now...call me a baby, but it's true.

    My throwing up was only a sarcastic phrase...I'm made of sterner stuff...but I still don't think my father or brothers need to give me a good beating for my friendly nature.

    And I was promised a sonnet, so I think I'm owed one...hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple....my message would say: Help me Escape. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on a bit. You know you want to.